Monday, July 6, 2020

An Ancestor's Voice





                                     Upper Sadler Cemetery,
                                     Clay County, Kentucky



An Ancestor's Voice

When my heartbeat ceases and my breath's sigh lies still,
Bury me please, on the top of yon' hill,
There on the top of the steep where the crops can't grow,
The earth will welcome my flesh and bones, this, I know,
For where my ma, my pa, and my little babes sleep,
I know this poor body, that ground will welcome and keep.
And at the head of my grave, please place a stone,
With the name and my dates etched thereupon.
And there, when the burdens of living give you pause,
Please visit my grave and remember what was.
Hear the songs of the birds, the rustle of leaves in the breeze,
Let the quiet and solitude fill your heart with ease.
Please walk upon my grave as much as you will,
For it will be a welcome sign that I'm remembered still.
And years from now, when no memory of me lives on,
Perhaps the letters of my name will be etched still in that stone.
And some future descendant will come searching for that name,
Seeking a forebear to joyfully claim.
Perhaps she will search the stones on that hilltop steep,
With her hands from the stones, grass and weeds, she'll sweep.
And she will study stones long weathered and worn,
For who is buried there and dates when they died and were born.
And on my stone, she'll trace shallow letters that once ran so deep,
Glance at the stones markin’ little ones nearby and perhaps gently weep.
She'll know that I was not just a name and a hyphen surrounded by dates,
But a living soul much as herself who was well acquainted with heartaches,
And also with hunger, frustration, pain, and fear,
Contentment, anger, joy, and loss of ones dear.
Perhaps, she will realize that little separates she and I,
Save the passage of time, a heartbeat, and breath's sigh.
And perhaps she will yearn to know of the story of my life,
All of those stories I will gladly share with her in the sweet by and by.



                                       Upper Sadler Cemetery,
                                       Clay County, Kentucky
                                  Grave of Rachel Allen Nolen



9 comments:

  1. I have done exactly what you so beautifully describe at the Thacker Cemetery in Indian Fields KY and the Morrison Cemetery outside of Steelville MO. Thank you for expressing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and thank you. It is nice to know that I have kindred spirits out there. 🙂✌🏻

      Delete
    2. You do have very kindred spirits out here. Everywhere we drive or visit, I think about what it was like to be there, live there, in olden times of many ages and stages. Not just where my ancestors were, but of course especially there. Montana's ghost towns - which I was privileged to run around in before they were recognized and made into state monuments and regulated. I have a wonderful genealogy memory from 1994 of discovering by fortuitous chance in Albemarle Co VA, the hilltop graveyard of my 5th great grandfather, by a "random" stranger greeting me in the Albemarle Co Courthouse records room and asking me who I was looking for. He was there doing genealogy from out of town for the past six months, and was just trying to help. I was looking for the grave of his son, but he knew the family and directed me to the next earlier generations family graveyard in the "hills and hollers" of the rural area. There was no stone for him, but it was his family buried there. Just like your poem, so silent, so ethereal. Thank you very much for your poem.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing your memories. It seems that God is great at putting a perfectly random stranger in our paths only to find that they are just the person we needed to meet! Thanks again. 🙂✌🏻

      Delete
  2. You are most welcome and thank you. I am happy that you liked it. 🙂✌🏻

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love to not only visit my ancestors' graves, but cemetaries and graveyards are always included in our trips. Old and overgrown are especially important. I take a moment to read each headstone and let that person know that someone else still cares that they lived on this earth. Then my husband and I talk about the ages of the people, the time that they lived, and the hardships they probably endured. It makes us appreciate all those people before us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can imagine them smiling down at your kindness from Heaven. I too love to visit old cemeteries and think about the folks buried there even if they aren’t kin. I am always reminded of Thomas Gray’s Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard.

      Delete