Thursday, August 27, 2020

Unforgettable


 

Years ago, Natalie Cole, the daughter, of Nat King Cole, made a recording of her father’s song Unforgettable. Technology allowed Nat King Cole’s version to be blended in with Natalie’s version so that it almost seemed that they were singing together even though he had been dead for decades.

A writing prompt "Unforgettable" brought to mind my family’s own Unforgettable type of smash-up.

I never really knew my great-grandpa Calvin Middleton. He died when I was only three and if I did ever meet him, I have no memories of him. However, I do have an older cousin, Ms. Leola that grew up living right next door to him. She has many memories of him and Great-grandma Rhoda and has shared them with me. I have written them down and shared them with other family members.


           Calvin Middleton and his brother-in-law Jefferson King

Ms. Leola has told me that Great-grandpa Calvin would make up little poems. He didn’t write them down, he just made them up and quoted them by memory. She says that he would be lost in thought and she would ask Pap, that is what she called him, what he was thinking about. Calvin would tell her that he was working on something and he would tell her when he was finished. A few minutes later, he would recite off a poem that he had made up.


                                          Calvin Middleton

That was decades ago and Ms. Leola remembered a few lines from the end of one of the poems, but she could not recall all of it. She sent those few lines to my father in a letter and told him that perhaps since he knew about the incident the poem was about, he could write the beginning to the poem.

Well, my dad is not the kind of person to write much of anything, let alone poetry so I thought that I would give it a try.

Since both Dad and Ms. Leola had been present during the incident memorialized in Pap’s poem, I questioned them about what they remembered. I gathered as many of the facts that I could find.

Pap’s poem concerned a ruckus that took place at the Anglin Branch Baptist Church house. It seems that a rumor had gotten started. Great-grandpa Calvin Middleton supposedly had said something to a Preacher Sasser concerning Bass Huff and perhaps somehow involving tithing. Bass Huff was the preacher at Anglin church. Preacher Sasser was from another church nearby.

Well, Preacher Bass got mad at Brother Middleton. The congregation scheduled a special meeting at the church house to clear everything up. Preacher Sasser came to the meeting to “testify’ as to what was actually said to him by Brother Middleton.

Ms. Leola says that Preacher Bass Huff had wanted to get rid of Calvin from the congregation, but Preacher Huff ended up losing his job over the ruckus. Myrtle was Preacher Huff's wife.

The events in the poem actually occurred as outlandish as they may seem. At least, they are as accurate as the memories of the folks who were present.

So this is the Unforgettable type corroboration between Great-grandfather Calvin and me, his great-granddaughter, April. Even though I do not recall ever meeting Calvin, he is truly unforgettable to me because Cousin Leola has introduced him to me through her memories.



Ruckus at the Meeting House

A corroboration between Calvin Middleton and April Smith Hajjafar



                                        April Smith Hajjafar

April’s part:

Like so often happens, the ruckus started in a "he said/she said" kind of way.

It remained to be seen, whether the truth would know the light of day.

Well, Brother Calvin had supposedly told Preacher Sasser something concernin' Preacher Huff.

Preacher Huff didn’t take it lightly, in fact, he took it kinda rough.

But Brother Calvin leavin' the congregation might appease him just enough,

Cause you see it seems that the preacher had worked himself into quite a huff!

Well to clear the confusion, a meeting was called at Anglin Church.

Hopefully, when the dust cleared, no one would be left standing in the lurch.

Folks went to the meeting; Preacher Sasser, Brother Calvin, Columbus his son,

Hugh Edwards, Doc Byrd, Brother Bass Huff; arriving one by one.

Anticipating trouble, Calvin carried a half empty pint bottle in his pocket. 

If it got too heated, that bottle could whip out and tap a noggin quick as a rocket!

Calvin’s son Fred rode a horse to a neighbor’s house also expecting trouble.

He borrowed himself a pistol and returned to the church house on the double!

As Fred arrived, he passed Hortense Smith and a couple of her friends outside.

He shouted, "Wanna see the roof blown off the church house?" as he brandished his pistol atop his ride!

Hortense fainted straight away, withering to the ground,

As outside the church house her friends gathered 'round.

Meanwhile inside the church house, tensions were growing pretty thick.

Brother Edwards looked like he might hit Calv, but Calv’s bottle was ready should he need it quick!

And Brother Bass jumped up to the pulpit, pulling out a blade;

Well, Columbus strode toward the pulpit pulling out his Bowie, and Bass’ bluster sure did fade!

Huff said hang on Brother Columbus, I’m just gonna cut me a chew.

Columbus stared at him coldly, saying “ Brother Bass, I chew tobacco too!”

Well I suppose that Preacher Sasser was finally given a chance to talk. 

And when the dust finally settled, Calvin would stay. Huff would be the one to walk! 

Ashamed to take the main road................ 


                                          Calvin Middleton

Calvin’s part:

Bass Huff slipped up through the cornfield 'til he got to the Anglin hill.

He said I wouldn’t had this to die in my hands for a hundred dollar bill.

He went on over to Myrtle’s house. She said "Bass, what’s this about?" 

He said "I told every lie I could tell, but I didn’t get Middleton out." 

Myrtle said "Bass I asked you not to go over there and I wrote it on the wall.

Our free will offerin' will be cut out, and the calf is sure to bawl."



                              Inside of Anglin Meeting House, 
                      probably taken by Cousin Glenna Allen



No comments:

Post a Comment