Friday, April 9, 2021

Christmas Commotion: A Jooniebug and Grannyma Tale

 




Christmas was just a few days away and Jooniebug’s family was visiting with Grannyma and Baba. It was bedtime and Jooniebug and Grannyma had already said their prayers when Grannyma asked Jooniebug what bedtime story she would like to read.

Joonie thought a minute and then asked, “Grannyma, can you tell me the story about when you were a little girl and Uncle Olen spent the night on Christmas Eve?”

Grannyma smiled and said, “Well Jooniebug, let me see if I can remember that one. Hmmmmm, okay, I think I remember the one you are talkin’ about.”

“Years ago, when I was just a little girl, about your age right now Jooniebug, Uncle Olen was visitin’ with Mom, Dad, your Uncle David and me. Now we lived in a little house on Knox Avenue in Dayton, Ohio. It was a small house and it only had one official bedroom that my mom and dad slept in. Our livin’ room reached from one side of the house to the other and my bed was in the corner of the livin’ room. Your Uncle David slept in a room between the livin’ room and the kitchen.  


                                    
                                             My brother David on Knox porch


                                    Me on my bed in the corner of the living room

Now, I have to tell you somethin’ else. Mom, your great-grandma, did not work outside the home but she did take in ironin’ from other folks so that she and your papaw could have a little extra money. Your great-grandma had a metal rack in the livin’ room that she would hang the clothes on after she ironed them. They would stay on that rack until folks came to pick them up.

So, now let me continue with my story Jooniebug before I forget what story I’m tellin’! Your Great-Great Uncle Olen was visitin’ with us and it was the night before Christmas. My bed was in one corner of the livin’ room and the Christmas tree was on the opposite side of the livin’ room. Now between my bed and the Christmas tree, Uncle Olen slept on a pallet on the floor and your great-grandma’s clothes rack, which held lots of ironed clothes, was close to Uncle Olen’s feet.

 


                                                  

                                      Uncle Olen around the time of the story


Now, remember Jooniebug, it’s Christmas Eve. I had probably had a hard time goin’ to sleep because I was so excited that Santa was goin’ to visit durin’ the night! I am certain that it had probably taken me longer than usual to get to sleep but I did fall asleep. Now, sometime durin’ the night though, I woke up. It probably took me a couple seconds to wipe the sleep cobwebs from my mind and remember that it was Christmas Eve but I did remember!

I didn’t know what time it was. I didn’t know if it was still Christmas Eve or if it was Christmas mornin’. I lay there awake wonderin’ if Santa had already come or not. I looked toward the tree in the opposite corner, but it was still dark and I couldn’t see under the tree. I lay there wonderin’ and wonderin’. Everyone else was still asleep. I knew that I would have to wait to open the presents that Santa had brought if he had already come, but still, I had to know if he had come yet or not! I still lay there wonderin’ and wonderin’. Finally, I came up with a plan! I would quietly get out of bed and I would quietly make my way past Uncle Olen over to the tree and perhaps, if I got close enough, I could at least see if anything was under the tree!

I had a plan Jooniebug and so I followed that plan. I quietly climbed out of bed because I didn’t want to wake anyone, especially Uncle Olen who was asleep on the floor between me and the tree. I tip-toed quiet as a mouse past Uncle Olen’s feet and I quietly drew close to the tree where I saw that Santa had been to our house already! I was so excited that on my way back to my bed, as I was passing between Uncle Olen’s feet and the rack holding Mom’s ironing, I bumped into that rack!

Oh, Jooniebug, I bumped into that rack and much to my horror it began to fall! Yes, that Christmas mornin’ came in early and it came in with quite a commotion! Uncle Olen was not just awakened but he was awakened by a rack of Mom’s ironin’. Why I cannot imagine what he must have thought before he wiped sleep’s cobwebs from his mind! He may have thought he was bein’ attacked by an intruder!

Needless to say, the confusion and commotion caused by my curiosity and impatience awakened the whole house! Thankfully, no one seemed to be that upset with me; and in spite of everyone wakin’ up a bit earlier than usual, we got to open our presents from Santa a bit earlier too.

You know, I can’t remember what I found under the Christmas tree that year Jooniebug, but I reckon that I will never forget what I found under your great grandma’s clothes rack. I found”

“Uncle Olen!” Grannyma and Jooniebug exclaimed in unison.

“Now, it is time for you to go to sleep Jooniebug”, Grannyma said as she slipped out of bed and pulled the cover up to Joonie’s chin.

Grannyma looked back at Joonie as she closed the door on her way out. She could see her sweet Joonie’s smile as she said quietly, “Good night, love you, sweet dreams Darlin’.” And silently she said, “Thanks God for blessin’ me with my sweet Jooniebug.”

No comments:

Post a Comment