Tuesday, May 11, 2021

A Chain of Mothers





Since the beginning of mankind, the chain of mothers that have led to me is myriad. The very fact that I am here is testimony to so many perfectly timed events. What if 20XG grandma had dallied in her wonderings among the hillsides and had not happened across the path of 20XG grandpa? What if 10XG grandma’s family had moved to a different area before 10XG grandpa’s family had moved into the area they were leaving? What if 7XG grandpa had died on the voyage to America and never got to know 7XG grandma? What if Grandpa had been away working at the mines at the time that Grandma Rachel could become pregnant with my mother?


                                     



Some folks might think my existence a case of pure happenstance. I happen to think that the fact that I am here, that anyone is here, is part of a Divine plan.

All of those past mothers lived in various places, at different times, and experienced varying life situations and experiences. In spite of all of those differences, mothers have much in common. I believe that the heart of a mother shares many similar emotions.

This is my take on the blessing of motherhood and I believe that all of those mothers who have led to me must have had similar feelings.


Motherhood

When you haven't been to bed yet by three AM because of a crying baby, you might be tempted to tell that baby to "go back to your womb". But then that crying baby wraps that tiny hand around your finger and thus ensures that you are forever wrapped around his or her finger. You feel that velvety soft cheek resting against your own, and you thank God for this opportunity, and pray to God that you don't screw it up. You will make mistakes, but they are made out of love and not indifference. Those mistakes become lessons to teach how to become a better mother.

And you begin the journey of motherhood, a journey where it seems that you must be like a coin, two-sided. You must try to teach, while at the same time trying to learn. You love and hold a child close, in preparation for letting that child go. You do your best to ensure that your child becomes a responsible adult, but if you live to be a hundred and that child lives to be eighty, he or she will still be your baby!

Here are just a few of the mothers in the chain that I am a part of. We share more than DNA, we share in the experience that is motherhood. I am so thankful for each and every one of them.




                                                      
                                                       My daughter and granddaughter (10)






                                                             
                                                                                    Me (20)






                                                         
                                                                                Mom (30)






                                                        
                                            Paternal grandmother Nancy Middleton Smith (40)





                                                       

        Maternal grandmother Rachel Allen Nolen (50) and "grandmother"/aunt Alta Allen Cantrell




                                                               

                                       Paternal great-grandmother Jane Thomas Smith King (60)





                                                          
                                            Paternal great-grandmother Rhoda King Middleton (70)




                                                       
                                     Maternal great-grandmother Nancy Ann Chandler Nolen (80)


   

                       Maternal great-grandmother Amanda "Mandy" "Granny" Moore Allen (90)

  


                                 Paternal 2XG-grandmother Susan Elizabeth Turner Smith (100)



                                                             

                                Paternal 2XG-grandmother Lucinda Tren Lifer Thomas (110)




                                                    

                                        Paternal 2XG-grandmother Sarah "Sallie" Blevins (120)




                                                       

                               Paternal 2XG-grandmother Elizabeth "Bettie" Harris (130)




                                                        

                         Maternal 2XG grandmother Sarah Elizabeth "Bettie" Nolen (140)




                                                         

                                Maternal 2XG-grandmother Matilda Davidson Chandler Stewart (150)




                                                        

                                 Maternal 2XG-grandmother Nancy Jane Baker Allen (160)





                                                            

                        Maternal 2XG-grandmother Nancy Jane Moore Moore Arnold (170)




                                                       

                                     Paternal 3XG-grandmother Mary Morgan Smith (180)




8 comments:

  1. Fantastic! What a great collection of photos you have, thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have had access to these photos. :) Peace.

      Delete
  2. You are lucky to have so many photos of so many generations. I have 2 photos with 4 generations in them and also one of my father's grandmother. She was the only grandparent who was still alive when he was born.

    I don't have any other photos of my great grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very blessed. My family had very little money so I am pretty astounded that we have as many photos as we have. Family has been very good to allow me to scan their photos also. I hope that you find more photos of your family someday. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading your article on mothers and was very impressed with your collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am astounded myself at how many photos our family has as my family had very little money. I am surprised that they could afford to take photos. Peace.

      Delete
  4. Wow, how blessed you are to have all these pictures of your ancestors. Future generations of your family will be so thankful you were able to obtain them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am very blessed to have access to them and I try to share them with family on a family Facebook page. I hope that future generations will be interested in seeing them. I have most in a photo album on my phone. My little three-year-old granddaughter will climb into my lap and ask to see the “great-greats” so perhaps, my hope isn’t unfounded. 🙂✌🏻

      Delete