Friday, May 13, 2022

Mother's Day Pre-Not-Really-Pre-Celebration 2022



Mother’s Day 2022

On Mother’s Day, we couldn’t all get together so we will officially celebrate at a later date when we can all be there. In spite of the later celebration, I asked Alex and Cammy if they would like to go with me to visit with Grandma and Papaw on Mother’s Day. Alex said yes but she would be late because she had scheduled the first available appointment to get new tires at Costco, which was on Mother’s Day morning. One of her tires was losing air on a daily basis and she was needing new tires anyway. I told her that I could meet her at Costco, she could drop her car off, and I would drive her to Gma and Ppa’s, then drive her back to Costco after our visit to pick up her car. So Alex and I would go together.

Mohammad is visiting family in Iran after seven years of not going back home. Cammy has been taking care of things while Mohammad is gone. Cammy told me that he would love to go, but he just had too much to do. He apologized and told me to tell Mom how sorry he was also.

So Alex, I, and Porter, Alex’s dog, went to Ppa and Gma’s on a different, more scenic route than I usually take to Murfreesboro. It was a beautiful day and we saw some lovely scenery with Spring in full bloom. We even got to drive by our local castle and Alex snapped a few photos of it for me.


                                                      

                                                      

                                                     


So we get to Murfreesboro and Dad has a pot of white beans on the burner. Mom tells me that the lettuce is getting big so Alex and I go out and pick some lettuce and onions for a mess of lettuce and onions.
While Mom is frying up some salt pork, I am washing lettuce, Alex is getting on macaroni and cheese, Dad is stirring up some cornbread, we hear the front door open. Who could that be?

Well, in comes Cammy with two bouquets of flowers, one for Gma and one for me. He tells me, that I have been “punked”! If my son showing up unexpectantly is being punked, I will be punked any day! He enjoys surprising people like his dad; his dad loves to surprise people!
 

 

So, we have a delicious meal with Mom and Dad of white beans, lettuce and onions, mac and cheese, and cornbread. Cam and Alex hadn’t had lettuce and onions before and both said that it is pretty good stuff.

After dinner, Mom said that a Sonic shake would really be a good finish to our meal. Cammy drove down the road to Sonic and got us a strawberry shakes, well, Alex had an Oreo blast. Sonic has the best strawberry shakes!

Cam left after bringing back the shakes as he still had things to do. Before Alex and I left, Mom wanted Alex to look at some of her jewelry to see if she wanted any of it. Alex was inspecting the newer things. Mom has one of those slide bracelets that has boocoodles of slides on it. Alex told Mom that she should take the slides off and that way all of her grandkids could have a few slides for necklaces. While they were looking at jewelry, I saw an old, small plastic box. I asked Mom what was in it and she told me that it was a ring that had belonged to her mother Rachel Allen Nolen. I told her that I would love to have that and she gave it to me!
 

 

 

Aunt Fanny had once had it but gave it to Mom some years ago. Mom says that she doesn’t remember Grandma Rachel ever wearing it. Mom reckons that she didn’t want to wear it while she was working, and she was always working. Mom does remember seeing the ring box among her mother’s things at their home though.

I asked Aunt Fanny if she knows anything about the ring or remembers her mom wearing it. She doesn’t remember anything about it. She didn’t remember having it to give to Mom. 
I know that it is very small and I cannot even begin to get it over the knuckle of my pinky. I showed it to Cammy and he was amazed that her fingers must have been very small, almost like a child’s fingers.
 

 

So, in spite of not celebrating Mother’s Day on Mother’s Day, our pre-not-really-pre-celebration made for a beautiful day! Mom and I got beautiful flowers and I got a ring that had belonged to Grandma Rachel. I think that Grandma Rachel was right there pre-not-really-pre-celebrating with us. Thanks God for family!

And we still get to look forward to another celebration combo of Mother’s Day and Mohammad’s birthday when we can all get together! A body just can’t get too much of celebrating with loved ones, past and present!

No comments:

Post a Comment